USA TODAY Sports
Yesterday on Pinstriped Bible:
- Mark Teixeira will be out for 8-10 weeks with a strained wrist
- Mark Teixeira and the Yankee Body Count
- Tanya recaps yesterday's Spring Training game against the Dominican Republic
- Andrew has another installment of GIFs of the Game
Around the World:
LoHud gets a lot of questions answered. Chad Jennings talks to Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi about the severity of Tex's injury and the options for first base.
William believes that the Yankees had this coming to them with their offseason spending plan. Now they have no depth and if they want to look into a trade, candidates like Justin Morneau, Victor Martinez and Chase Headley will be very expensive.
IIATMS looks at Brett Gardner's swing from last year and compares it to the one he is employing so far in 2013. Apparently he had switched to a swing that was more consistent with a power hitter, but now he's back to his usual swing.
One of the biggest failures of the Yankee minor league system is its inability to develop a replacement for Derek Jeter for when he retires. After 2014, Jeter will be 40 and without a contract, so it might be the perfect time for retirement. Eduardo Nunez, Addison Maruszak, Cito Culver, Claudio Custodio, and Austin Aune are all either not good enough or too young for us to know if they're good enough.
Brian Cashman is still confident in the team the Yankees will be fielding come opening day. Even though they have a lot of injuries he knows they will be back and will help the team compete for a playoff spot. Cashman is not panicing.
Derek Jeter is being patient when it comes to returning from injury. He's slated to return on Sunday, but he could also debut Monday, depending on how he feels. His next hurdle will be running the bases at full speed, which should be happening very soon.
With all the injuries coming to the Yankee regulars and the fact that Brian Cashman is not looking to trade for anyone, Yankee fans are going to have to get used to the idea of replacement players starting for the team.
Despite the slew of injuries the Yankees will be fine. The season is six months long and even if Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira miss the first month of the season the team can still get healthy and make up for lost time.
The Greedy Pinstripes makes the case for the Yankees to sign still free agent Carlos Lee to man first base while Teixeira is out.
Impressive: With all the injuries happening this offseason the team currently has $65.5M on the Disabled List.
Questions of the Day:
- If you were commissioner what would your first order of business be?
- DH or no DH? Both Leagues or just one?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- If you could have any super power what would it be?
- Bonus Question: How do you think the Yankees should replace all their injuries?
Coming Up Today:
- Those Pilfering Yankees: Other Teams' Non-Roster Invitees by Jason @ 8 am
- The Yankees' 2013 Season Depends Entirely on Pitch Framing by Greg @ 10 am
- New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals @ 1:05 pm (Game Thread @ 12:30 pm)