Last year I subjected the faithful to two Yankee trivia quizzes, which were slightly more popular than psoriasis. Since spring training is still a month away, and we will all soon be tired of "it was a good/ bad idea to sign Soriano/ Andruw Jones, here is another Yankee trivia quiz to help fill time and keep you out of trouble.
Unlike the previous quizzes, this one can actually be scored. In each group of questions, the first question is easy (or the least hard), and is worth 5 points. The second is intermediate in difficulty, and is worth 10. The third is the hardest, and is worth 15. There are a couple of bonus questions, each worth 10, for a possible 200 points. You can play at home and score on the honor system. You can post answers/ educated guesses/ wild stabs in response. I will probably post the answers Thursday of Friday. No cheating.
Part One- Yankee Stadium
1) These were originally located in play in dead center field.
2) The Yankees moved three home games in April 1998 to Detroit because of what?
3) Yankee Stadium was originally located where it was out of spite. Who was being spited and why?
Part Two- Nicknames
What is the actual given first name of these Yankees:
4) Sparky Lyle
5) Twinkle Toes Selkirk
6) Casey Stengel
Bonus- How did Casey Stengel get his nickname? Penalize yourself 5 points if you didn’t know that ‘Casey’ is a nickname.
Part Three- Yankees in Music
7) Who wrote these lyrics?
"Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"
8) From what Broadway musical do these lyrics come?
"Strike three, ball four, a walk, a run would tie the score.
Fly ball, double play, Yankees win again today"
9) Who wrote these lyrics about Catfish Hunter? (Hint- I wouldn’t ask if he wasn’t well known, and his opening act in 1975 recorded the song).
"Reggie Jackson at the plate/ seeing nothing but the curve
Swing too early or too late/ got to eat what Catfish serve
Part Four- Yankee Authors
Identify the authors, all Yankee players, of the following books:
10) You Can Learn a Lot By Watching
11) I’m Glad You Didn’t Take It Personally
12) The Year I Owned the Yankees (Hint- It’s only a fantasy of what the author would have done had he actually owned the Yankees- he never ownedany part of the team)
Part Five- Quotes
Identify the person responsible for these quotes:
13) If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.
14) (Speaking of Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner) "One’s a liar and the other’s convicted."
15) a Non- Yankee player said this- "I played for Casey Stengel both before and after he was a genius." (Hint- he means both before and after Stengel managed the Yankees).
Part Six- Other stuff
16) The first ever player to appear in a game as a Designated Hitter (1973).
Bonus- the result of his at bat.
17) What Dave Winfield did in Toronto that caused Blue Jay fans to call him a murderer.
18) The business George Steinbrenner was in before he bought the Yankees.