I see that no quiz responses have been posted since yesterday afternoon, so I'll take that as lack of further interest. I have been making mental notes for another (non- quote, non statistical performance) quiz. Is there interest? Please let me know. Below are the answers to the Time Waster.
In reviewing the questions, I realized that the source of a lot of them were Sparky Lyle's tell- all book "The Bronx Zoo." The reason there weren't any recent quotes is the fact that no one publishes these books any more except Jose Canseco.
1. Casey Stengel
2. Reggie Jackson speaking about Mickey Rivers
3. Marilyn Monroe/ Joe DiMaggio.
4. Reggie Jackson again, this time about Billy Martin
5. Sparky Lyle, on being traded away after the signing of Rich Gossage
6. Phil Rizzuto, explaining his play- by- play in Meatloaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light."
7. Yogi Berra. (I tried for a lesser- known but amusing quote).
8. Mickey Mantle, before his liver transplant. (Mantle men usually died in their late 40s, he thought he would as well).
9. Wee Willie Keeler. (This is the oldest quote- over 100 years old).
10. George Steinbrenner on Dave Winfield, after the 1981 World Series.